Jayne Pierce is the South Georgia Museum Curator. Jayne has 20 years’ experience in the museum sector (having formerly worked at University College London and London Natural History Museum). Jayne manages the museum collection, plans exhibitions and displays, and oversees the Curatorial Intern programme and much more. With a relatively low number of people able to visit the museum due to its remote location, one of her key priorities is to increase access to the collection by remote means.
Sarah Lurcock is SGHT’s Director on South Georgia. Sarah acts as SGHT’s senior representative on South Georgia. She manages the running of South Georgia Museum and its shop and oversees the staff. Sarah is also responsible for fundraising on visiting cruise ships.
Liz Adams is the buyer for the Museum gift shop and co-buyer for the SGHT on-line shop. She works from her home in England. Her main goal is to increase the profitability of the shops and keep them stocked with attractive, high quality, relevant and environmentally responsible goods.
Steve Massam is based in the Falkland Islands and is the Museum Taxidermist. In 2016-17 he was the Artist in Residence. Steve developed the ‘Made in South Georgia’ craft range and helps train the museum staff in production of craft items.
Curatorial Intern: Each year SGHT grants the David Nicholls internship bursary to a graduate of the St. Andrews University Museum and Galleries Studies course. The curatorial intern then travels to South Georgia to work at the museum that season.
You may be interested to know how some of our past Curatorial Interns are doing in their careers – from the more recent interns (Charlotte) to our first intern (Lynsey).
We think that David Nicholls would have been delighted that through his bursary and the museum, SGHT has given these young graduates such a good start to their careers.
- Charlotte Yeung is Programme Assistant at The Turnpike contemporary art gallery in Greater Manchester.
- Lorna Weir is Curator at Almond Valley Heritage Centre, West Lothian. Previous roles include Project Assistant at National Museums Scotland.
- Matthew Bellhouse Moran is Museum Manager HMS Unicorn, Dundee. Previous roles include Curator at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine.
- Deirdre Mitchell recent worked with the British Antarctic Survey as a General Assistant in South Georgia. Previous roles include Heritage Collections Officer at the RNLI Museum in Poole and Lead Inventory Officer for the National Trust for Scotland. She also works in the Antarctic tourism industry with Lindblad/National Geographic.
- Suzanne Patterson-Black is Audience Engagement Officer at the Dundee Heritage Trust. Previous roles include Digitisation Project Officer at the Scottish Fisheries Museum.
- Thomas Kennedy is Assistant Curator, Modern British Art at Tate Britain London. Previous roles include Exhibition Assistant at the Barbican Centre in London.
- Katie Murray is Project Officer at the Centre for Recreation and Tourism Research (CRTR) at the University of the Highlands and Islands. Katie gained a PhD at St. Andrews University. Previous roles include working as expedition staff/lecturer (historian) with One Ocean Expeditions.
- Lynsey Easton has recently been working as a teacher in the Falkland Islands. Previous roles include Education and Outreach Officer at The Highlanders Museum.